Pages

Socially Responsible

I am very proud to write today's post. This is a subject that has popped into my mind quite a bit, but I was never fully sure how to approach or get started. So decided to just dive in and write I am sure the message will be clear. From here on in the only clothes you will see us feature on Sneakers Over Stilettos or Fashion Playground will be from fair trade companies. I want to do what I can for Ethan and Peyton to teach them to be socially responsible. I want to teach them that when it comes to fashion we can't look great if the people who made the clothes are not being treated properly.


Photobucket


I am always teaching Ethan to treat other with respect and if you can take the time do something nice for them. Lately however I have been feeling I am not fully comitting to this lesson by wearing clothes that others suffered to make for us. While after looking into it, I found that only 3% of what I buy for us is not fair trade, why not make a point and change that to 0%.
Photobucket
I spent a large majority of yesterday looking into my favorite retailers, I was quite suprised by what I found out. The store I thought for sure I was going to have to say goodbye to actually does a lot and devotes a lot of energy to see that the workers in their factories are not being mistreated. And then on the flipside a couple of stores I was certain would be fine {mostly because they are a little more expensive} actually disappointed me with what I found out. After reading what I found letting go of never going there again was actually pretty easy.

Photobucket


I want to be honest and say though that I do not have the budget to giveaway everything in my closet that is not fair trade, and I am not suggesting that to anyone either. I do feel bad for not educating myself sooner, but sadly the damage is done. My point with this post is just to encourage others to take that extra 5 minutes and look into the company and see what their values are when it comes to this subject. You will most often find their values on fair trade under an about us or social responsibility link.

Photobucket

When it comes to buying fair trade I want to show that its actually a lot more cost effective then you would think it is. And that while supporting local designers is awesome, it is possible to shop fair trade in the retail chain market as well. Not that buying quality over quantity isn't a great reason in itself. The next few weeks I will be showing some of these awesome fair trade companies, and creating fashion mixology posts, showing how only using X amount of pieces can create lots of great outfits.

Photobucket


I am still doing my research into this subject. I would love to hear your thoughts, or if you have a favorite fair trade clothing company please share!

If you have any questions I would love to answer what I can!

ambergioiasmith (at) hotmail (com)


Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory

9 comments:

Salena @ A Little Piece of Me said... [Reply]

Thanks for sharing this. Honestly, something I never thought about. I had no idea the information was even available. Looking forward to hear more. Passing this on. :)

kelli@eatprayreadlove. said... [Reply]

Thanks for a VERY informative post. I have had the human trafficking dilemma on my mind lately and wanting to support the rescue of these girls- one way is by NOT buying things made by modern-day slaves.
And thanks for the tip of the "social responsibility" tab. I didn't even know that existed.

Ashley said... [Reply]

I would love to hear more too. More so about store specifically if you can share that info. :)

Jessica @ TheCrazyChaoticHouse said... [Reply]

I know nothing about this and would love to hear more. Thanks for sharing:))

Jessica @ TheCrazyChaoticHouse said... [Reply]

I know nothing about this and would love to hear more. Thanks for sharing:))

Danielle said... [Reply]

Thanks so much for linking up to Blissful and Domestic Sunday Blog Hop. Hope to see you back tonight.

http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2012/03/sunday-blog-hop-4_10.html

Danielle said... [Reply]

Thanks so much for linking up to Blissful and Domestic Sunday Blog Hop. Hope to see you back tonight.

http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/2012/03/sunday-blog-hop-4_10.html


Following you on pinterest and facebook too

kyna... said... [Reply]

Good for you!!! I have actually been looking into this a bit lately and I'm shocked to find out some things about my favorite retailers!
Kyna

Helen said... [Reply]

Found you lovely blog through bissful and domestic's blog hop. Now following :)
www.eatenjoylive.blogspot.com