Pages

My Worth

I read this post the other day from I Rock So What and the idea behind her own post has been on my mind for months. Knowing your worth is tough. You don't want to under sell yourself, but you don't also want to forget those who encouraged and nurtured your talent in the beginning. I really hope that I won't affend anyone with this post. This post is being written with my heart, and I hope it comes across as sweet as it is sounding in my mind.


When I first started my journey into professional photography I did quite a bit of sessions for free or very, very cheap. I was greatful for all those that took a chance on me being that I was brand new to the industry. But I will admit there was a lot of the time I got the grumples when I broke down how much I was actually making when I calculated in my actual amount of time I was working on the images after the session.

Now I am fully aware that I am not at the level of the photographers who I have come to admire. But I can feel that I have become more knowledeable in things like lighting, posing, and editing. I have come to the point where I need to start reading the complements I recieve about my work more often and remember always that I am good. And remember that setting a price that I feel I am worth is acceptable.

There is going to come a point when both Ethan and Peyton are in school and I am going to need something to do. I want one of my full time jobs to be photography {the other blogging}. Now I have around three years till Peyton starts kindergarten, but I want to become more established before then. Because I have so much time to make my goal I am going to dive into this whole heartly, but not put alot of pressure onto myself. I love photography and I love how fun it is, and would hate for that to be taken away.

I have done something for myself I have never done before. I have set a three year plan out. My goal for this year to start a photography website. All those amazing clients I told you about were a big help in helping me build a portfolio and I love them all for giving up there time for me!

Now with all this said I will always remember the feeling of starting out and honestly not being sure if I was good enough to be a part of the photography world. One of the things that breaks my heart is when someone I used to look up to and admire, forgets that feeling and makes others feel little for starting out. I promise to always be happy for those who start their own business and enlist their friends to be models and either charge them peanuts or nothing at all to build a portfolio.  

 I completely understand that doing work for free is bad for the economy and the particular industry you are working in. So rather then putting out an ad for free work, enlist your friends and family to help you build your portfolio. Its doubtful that you would have charged them a lot to begin with and you won't be stepping on the toes of your peers. 

I really hope I didn't upset anyone, and have helped a few people have the confidence to have there ah ha moment come through the way I did when I read Jess' post.


5 comments:

Jennifer said... [Reply]

Good luck!!

Lacee Griffith Mommas Like Me Blog said... [Reply]

I think this post was great Amber. I have some of the very same feelings about starting an etsy shop. Will I be good enough? What to charge? But I think if we first believe in ourselves (easier said than done sometimes) then others will in turn believe in us. You are going to do wonderful!! Thanks for linking up with the blog hop :)

Shell said... [Reply]

Good luck!

Candice @ TheNewModernMomma said... [Reply]

This is a great post. You are good enough and you are worth it!

kyna... said... [Reply]

Good for you Amber! Hey, what kind of camera bag is that? I've been looking for a new bag that can be my camera/diaper bag!
♥ Kyna